Saturday, April 27, 2013

Bullying: It's everywhere


(This is a post I originally posted on my own blog a few months back, but it is one I felt I needed to share again because it's so important to me and I hope that it helps someone in a some way, shape or form.)

Several months ago, I read this book and it was one that somewhat punched me in the gut. It touches on a subject that everyone is familiar with in some way or another. BULLYING. Unfortunately, bullying has taken on a completely different level this day and age. Especially with social media taking over the world. (Or so it seems). I was bullied in middle school, a little in high school, and honestly, I've been bullied a little bit as an adult. Basically, some people are just downright mean and I try so very hard to see the good in everyone, but some people just show nothing but their mean side.

It really upsets and sickens me to see, almost on a daily basis, the number of kids, teens, and young adults who take their lives because they have been picked on, made fun of, and bullied to the point where they just can't take it anymore. That world shouldn't be like that, it's just wrong. We should be the change that everyone wishes to see and it all starts with being kind to one another.

I read a lot of books that I absolutely love and will recommend to friends, but every now and then a book comes along that I just have to tell anyone and everyone about.
Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti is such an inspiring and touching book. It is about something that is very close to my heart….bullying.
In this day and age, so many people, young and old, are bullied for their sex, their looks, how they dress, and so on. It breaks my heart. I have never been physically bullied, but I have been verbally and it really breaks you down. As someone who wants to have kids of my own, I hope and pray that my kids will never be bullied and they will never be the bully. I also hope that as someone who is studying to be a teacher, I will take a stand against bullies and help those who are struggling through school each and every day. 
I really am grateful for Susane for writing such a great book. It will make you tear up, make you angry, but in the end…you will feel hope.

If you or anyone you know has been bullied or is being bullied, please read this book.

And Keep Holding On.
Ps. Susane also includes several resources for those who need help, here are a few:

To Write Love on Her Arm - twloha.com

It Gets Better Project - itgetsbetter.org

The Trevor Project - thetrevorproject.org

Above The Influence - abovetheinfluence.com



And please remember, be kind to one another. It makes all the difference.

Until next time,
Heather




[original post by me can be found on turningpages2011.blogspot.com]


No comments:

Post a Comment