Wednesday, March 20, 2013

review and interview of REUNITED by Hilary Weisman Graham

This post was originally published on Julie's Blog



1 Concert 2,000 Miles 3 Ex-Best Friends

Alice, Summer, and Tiernan are ex-best friends.
Back in middle school, the three girls were inseparable. They were also the number one fans of the rock band Level3. But when the band broke up, so did their friendship. Summer ran with the popular crowd, Tiernan was a rebellious wild-child, and Alice spent high school with her nose buried in books.
Now, just as the girls are about to graduate, Level3 announces a one-time-only reunion show. Even though the concert’s 2000 miles away, Alice buys three tickets on impulse. And as it turns out, Summer and Tiernan have their own reasons for wanting to get out of town. Good thing Alice’s graduation gift (a pea-green 1976 VW camper van know as the Pea Pod) is just the vehicle to get them there. But on the long drive cross-country, the girls hit more than a few bumps in the road. Will their friendship get an encore or is the show really over?
Reunited by Hilary Weisman Graham was released June 12, 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers. You can buy your very own copy at Amazon | Barnes & Noble | or IndieBound



Ashelynn's Review:

First things first: I didn’t want to read Reunited when I first heard about it. I probably skimmed the cover and thought, “meh.” Which, guys, this happens to me a LOT. You would think by now I would learn, but alas, I haven’t  . . so when Julie asked me if I was willing to read Reunited, I was thinking er. . . and decided to read what Reunited was about and thought, “Oh hey, this book might be good!”

I was wrong. This book is AMAZING! One of my favorite books of 2012, I swear. (I keep saying that, but YO, SUCH A FANTASTIC BOOK.) I loved the relationship between the girls; I loved how real everything felt. It was one of those books were you wanted to experience the road trip with the girls—and trust me, I really want some sno cones right about now. YUM.

If you’re looking for a great contemporary read, I highly suggest Reunited. If you’re looking for a book about ex-friends getting back together, I highly suggest Reunited. If you’re a music lover, read Reunited. If you’re just a book lover, READ REUNITED. 


AND! The Interview:

(my questions are bolded; Hilary's are plain.)

Tell us a little about yourself that we wouldn’t know from your website/author bio.  
I’m a terrible singer, but I’ve never met a karaoke machine I didn’t like.  I love mangoes, watching 30 ROCK, and mountain biking, but not necessarily in that order.  In high school, there was a certain time period when my girlfriends and I referred to ourselves as the “Tikimomamas” and it drove our guy friends crazy because they never knew what it meant.  And I’m still not telling. ;)
I love mangoes, too! Eat them all the time. :) What was one of your favorite parts of writing REUNITED?
I really loved writing the scene at the swimming hole.  It’s night, the girls are stuck in the middle of the woods with a bunch of strangers, and Alice’s internal monologue alternates between sheer terror and total hilarity.   But, I think my favorite scene to write was the kissing scene in the van.  Though I won’t spoil anything for those who haven’t read it by revealing which of the girls finds romance on the road.
Ha! The swimming hole and kissing scene are great scenes. I was cracking up during the swimming hole scene. What was one of your favorite parts of the publishing process for REUNITED? 
Now that the book’s finally out, I’m really enjoying seeing REUNITED in stores all over the country, thanks to the photos shared by fans and friends.  But my favorite part about being a writer is getting to do what I love.
Music plays such a huge role in REUNITED and as I write these questions, I’m listening to Neon Trees—who is one of my favorite bands! What is your favorite song (or who is your favorite band) as of right now?  

The Neon Trees are great!  But my new musical obsession is Andrew Bird. It’s hard to believe I’ve been on the planet for this long without listening to him. 

Meant To Be
The Selection 
I love the cover for REUNITED—what is one of your favorite covers? (besides your own ;)) 
I really love the gorgeous covers for Kiera Cass’s THE SELECTION and Lauren Morrill’s MEANT TO BE (due out in November).
Those two covers are absolutely GORGEOUS. I love the book trailer for REUNITED, and since you are a writer-director, I’m curious: did you direct the book trailer? Or what was your role in the making of the trailer?
Level 2
 Yes! I did write and direct the book trailer, for a budget of exactly zero dollars, I’m   proud to say. Actually, I did buy lunch for the older girls and I think I spent seventeen bucks on the blue wig. ;) But my former career as a filmmaker definitely came in handy.
Skinny
And the final question: what are you currently reading? 
I just finished reading an ARC of LEVEL 2 by Lenore Appelhans (due out in January) and I’m about to crack open an ARC of SKINNY (due out in October) by Donna Cooner tonight.  

Okay, I'm super jealous of all the people getting to read LEVEL 2. That book is HIGH on the wishlist! Thanks, Hilary, for allowing me to interview you!

About Hilary Weisman Graham:


Hilary Weisman Graham is an award-winning filmmaker, screenwriter, and novelist.  She lives in rural New Hampshire with her husband and son, roughly thirty minutes away from the nearest grocery store. 

You can check her out on the web at: Simon & Schuster Author Page | website | blog | facebook | goodreads | twitter 

And did you know that Level3 has a website? TRUE STORY! You can download their songs, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment